First Thursday July 2019
Karangahape Road. Long regarded as Auckland’s sketchiest strip, it’s no wonder that these days it’s become a hub for all sorts of oddball artsy types. From sternly principled artist collectives to nifty little boutique craft shops (not to mention all the various activities we might call “night life”), it’s all happening on K’ Road.
To celebrate all that top-notch weirdness, we’ve got First Thursdays. Twice a year on a Thursday, K’ Road gets all lit up. The drag queens, the DJs, the drag queen DJs, the poets, performance artists, and the makers of niknaks, all come out for one big mid-week party. It encompasses pretty much every art-form you could ever imagine, plus its got markets, and pop-up shops - all kinds of stuff. But you don’t have to buy anything to have a good time, just stroll down the footpath, take in the sights, and wonder, “where do all these jugglers go when they’re not doing this?”
Some of this year’s activities/events/performances include:
- Have You Ever Been with an Asian Woman Before?
- Artists Gemishka Chetty, Wai Ching Chan, Julia Zhu and Aiwa Pooamom take audiences on a journey of the Asian female experience living in New Zealand.
- Poetry showcase featuring Dominic Hoey, Liam Jacobson, and Grace Taylor.
- Dance Plant Collective exploring light and the human connection.
- Caluzzi Cabaret pop up Fourth of July American diner.
- The Saxobros roaming the streets, playing the hits.
- Live music from The BackChat.
- The Auckland Street Choir live in St. Kev's.
- Old mate Chippy creating/painting an artwork right there in the street!
Come on, get stuck in to Karangahape Culture.